Thursday, September 17, 2009

Early Bird or Night Owl?

Which one are you? When I was still working on an 8-5 job, I was definitely an early bird or shall say, a morning person. I didn't have a choice but to be one. I was a "slave of the clock" so to speak. That meant going to bed before the clock hits 10 PM and waking up before the clock hits 6 AM. That was my life for more than 10 years. But that's all in the past now.

Now that I am a WAHM, I have the choice if I want to be an early bird or a night owl. Sort of, anyway. The time I go to bed at night is MY decision. The time I have to get out of bed in the morning...that's a whole different story. In other words, it's not ALWAYS my decision when I should get out of bed and it's called 'mommyhood'.

During the first few years of my being a WAHM, I would work until 2AM most days. The little one was just a baby then so her sleeping wasn't the best. Instead of waking up in the middle of the night to attend to her, I would choose to stay up late and work in case she'd need me. I got used to that so for a few years, I was definitely a night owl.

Now that she no longer wakes up to be fed or changed, I can go to bed pretty much after she does...but I sometimes don't. I am no longer staying up till 2 AM but I still go to bed later than I would want to. The result? Me having a hard time getting up early, well, earlier.

Just like today and the other day. It's easy for me to wake up and get ready. The hard part is staying up alert throughout the day. Ugh! We had an early delivery earlier this week so we needed to be up by 7. The husband stayed home until after the delivery which meant he left a little late than normal. Today was my appointment for some blood tests and I scheduled it at 7 AM. Hubby has to drive us that's why it's that early. Everything went well with the visit to the lab but guess what? I am sooooo sleepy right now. I could have taken a nap but I didn't think it would be any good so I just stayed up. Hopefully I'll be able to sleep good tonight.

It is days like today that make me want to go back to my old sleeping routine. Being out and about that early in the morning is very refreshing. It also enables me to do more as far as chores and work are concerned. Hmm...maybe I will...go back to my old 'sleeping-waking' routine, eh?

No comments: