Tuesday, January 15, 2013

The Year That Was


Year 2012 may not have been the best year as far as work is concerned but it'll definitely be one of my most memorable years. The reason being I was finally able to go back home to see family after more than 10 years of being away.

Aside from being able to come home for the first time since I left some 12 years ago, it was also the first time my side of the family met our little one. Needless to say, it was a very happy time in our lives. During our 2-week stay, my family was also able to get to know the man I married. They knew him by  name and by talking to him over the phone and met him for a day when he came to pick me up more than 10 years ago but they never really got the chance to 'know' him. This time around, they did. So when it was time for me and my little family to leave again, my siblings told me that now they can breathe a lot easier now knowing that the man I chose to spend the rest of my life with is a good man. I guess me telling them that [over the phone] in the last several years wasn't enough, eh? I guess to see is to believe indeed. Ha!

Beside that memorable family reunion during the first quarter of 2012 and becoming a naturalized citizen, not much good had happened I must say. We're surviving alright but life can definitely  be better. Obviously, the economy has a lot to do with that and by the looks of it, there won't be a lot of [good] changes in the economy this year. For starter, the pay we see on our payroll now is much smaller than last time. Why? More tax deductions. As if the lack of work is not enough, now even the little money we get from whatever work is available has been compromised as well. Not only that. Our mortgage payment has gone up because of the increase in insurance. Why is it that everything is going up but the earnings? There is something wrong in that equation, don't you think? If this continues on, everyone in this country will be broke. Well, let me rewrite that. Everybody in this country will be on welfare. That's what we want, right? Or is it?

No comments: