Monday, June 18, 2012

Knowledge is Power

A lot of people believe in that. I do as well. But it's a double edged sword. At least that's what it is to me. I like to learn about things...but not about sickness or symptoms of a sickness especially if it pertains to me or my loved ones. There I said it. It's stressful to me just thinking that something serious may be wrong with me or with someone I care about.

We've been to the doctor and we're just waiting on results...and appointments to talk about the results. Hubby and I are coping differently. I try NOT to research my and his symptoms. He does the exact opposite. He spends hours reading online about the different symptoms we both have and would come up with something. Still, he can't really pinpoint what's wrong with him. Surprising. I told him to wait for the doctor's diagnosis. He is...but he's also trying to figure it out himself. I can see where he's coming from. Yes, self-diagnosis is not a good thing. But who knows your symptoms better than yourself, right? I'm just glad he's not self-medicating. Now, that would be the time I'd probably freak out and would demand he waits what the doctor says.

Anyway, even if I'm trying not to research what could be wrong with me and him, I still can't help but be stressed out about it. I'm actually having some GI problems probably because of the stress. Sleep is elusive for the past several nights and food comes back up every now and then. Ugh!

Growing up, we never really went to the doctor unless it's something really serious. If it's simple body aches and pain, we just wait it out until it went away. Anything manageable, we tough it out. That's how they still do it back home. My parents were only hospitalized [as far as I can remember anyway] when they were old already. We have doctors back there but people only go to them when they need to...rarely for routine check-ups. Now, I'm not saying that's a good thing. Of course I believe that it's better be diagnosed with something earlier than later....but the stress might just kill me before anything else does. [knock on wood that won't be the case].

So is knowldge really power? Yes. As long as it does not involve health crisis that is beyond my control. Blabbering here. Sorry. I'm stressed.

Have a stress-free everyone. [including me]

No comments: