Thursday, June 14, 2012

Boxing & American Idol

I just saw a picture of Manny Pacquiao and Jessica Sanchez together. It was taken last weekend before the controversial fight between the former and Timothy Bradley where Sanchez sang the national anthem.

These 2 are probably 2 of the most popular Filipinos in recent memory. Although I have yet to hear Sanchez to actually say she's indeed a half-Filipina. Anyway, both of them also kept a lot of international fans glued on the tube not so long ago. Unfortunately, both also kinda' fell short in bringing home the bacon. Yes, we Filipinos still consider them as winners but we cannot deny the fact that we were hoping and praying that they emerged as the crowned winners. Yes? In both 'bouts', 'kababayans' or fellow Filipinos felt short changed with the outcomes. In Jessica's case, she herself felt the winner deserved the title. That doesn't make her any less talented. If I may say so, she's way more talented as a singer. It's just that Phillip is more popular [to the fans who mattered the most] during the competition. Many [Filipinos] may not agree with me and that's okay. To each his own, right? Anyway, as I see it winning American Idol is not always a sure thing for success. Out of the past 10 winners, only 2 have careers now that can be classified successful [record sales]. The others are either still struggling to sell records while the others are almost gone into oblivion. If Jessica plays her cards right and with the guidance of a great management team, she can soar higher than any of these AI champs. Her voice is definitely something. So it ain't over till it's over.

The Manny Pacquiao - Timothy Bradley situation is far from over though. As a matter of fact, the WBO is now going to review the controversial result of the fight. According to the article, the Attorney General of Nevada might just do the same thing. I didn't watch the fight. I'm not a fan of the sport itself. I only read about and it's only because someone I know of is involve in the sport itself like Pacquiao. Since I didn't watch it myself, I cannot tell if Pacquiao won it or not or if something fishy happened. But if the boxing association itself is going out of its way to investigate it, then something must be going on.

What do I hope comes out of the investigation? I guess the truth. Hopefully, everyone will be able to accept whatever the association [and possibly the attorney general of NV] comes up with after their investigation. That's all.

No comments: